Free Consultation


Grapes, Raisins and Currants: Why They Are Toxic For Dogs

Grapes, Raisins and Currants: Why They Are Toxic For Dogs

The Deadly Trio: Grapes, Raisins, and Currants

You know, I’ve always been a sucker for a good mystery, whether it’s solving a whodunit or uncovering the secrets of the universe. But there’s one mystery that’s been puzzling pet owners for over 20 years – why are grapes, raisins, and currants so darn toxic to our canine companions? Well, thanks to some clever veterinary sleuths, the case has finally been cracked wide open.

The Discovery: Tartaric Acid Uncovered

It all started with a case of homemade playdough poisoning in a dog. Colette Wegenast, a senior consulting veterinarian at the ASPCA Poison Control Center, was called in to investigate. Now, most homemade playdough contains a high amount of salt, which can cause severe symptoms in dogs if they ingest it. But in this case, the dog wasn’t showing the typical signs of salt poisoning. Instead, the pup was suffering from something called “severe azotemia” – which is a fancy way of saying there were high levels of nitrogen in the bloodstream.

Intrigued, Dr. Wegenast dug deeper and discovered that the playdough recipe contained an unusual ingredient – cream of tartar. And guess what else contains high levels of that same compound? Yep, you guessed it: grapes, raisins, and currants.

The Toxic Culprit: Tartaric Acid

After some more research, Dr. Wegenast and her colleagues determined that the real villain behind the grape and raisin poisoning mystery is a compound called tartaric acid. It turns out that dogs are particularly sensitive to this substance, and when they ingest it, it can lead to acute renal failure – which is just a fancy way of saying their kidneys can shut down.

The reason why some dogs suffer more severe symptoms than others when they eat grapes or raisins is because the amount of tartaric acid can vary depending on the type of grape, where it was grown, and how ripe it is. Some varieties pack a bigger punch than others.

The Consequences: Kidney Failure and Beyond

Now, you might be wondering, “If tartaric acid is the problem, what exactly happens to a dog that eats grapes or raisins?” Well, let me tell you, it ain’t pretty. The first signs are usually vomiting and lethargy, which can progress to things like abdominal pain, diarrhea, and loss of appetite. And the real kicker? If left untreated, this can lead to acute kidney failure, which can be fatal.

Imagine your beloved pup suddenly refusing to eat, acting lethargic, and even vomiting. It’s a heartbreaking sight, and without quick action, it can spiral into something much more serious. That’s why it’s so important to keep grapes, raisins, and currants out of your dog’s reach at all times.

Prevention is Key: Keeping Your Pup Safe

Now, I know what you’re thinking – “But my dog loves grapes! How could something so delicious be so dangerous?” Well, let me tell you, it’s just not worth the risk. These little fruits may be tasty to us, but for our canine companions, they can be downright deadly.

That’s why the team at I Have Dogs recommends keeping your pup far away from the grape-raisin-currant trifecta. Don’t even think about using them as training treats or sneaking them into your dog’s food bowl. It’s simply not worth the gamble.

And if you suspect your dog has ingested any of these forbidden fruits, don’t wait around – get them to the vet right away. Time is of the essence when it comes to grape and raisin poisoning, so the sooner you can get your pup checked out, the better their chances of making a full recovery.

The Lesson: Informed Pet Owners are the Best Pet Owners

At the end of the day, the moral of the story is this: we may love our furry friends like family, but that doesn’t mean we can feed them everything we enjoy. Grapes, raisins, and currants may be delicious for us, but for our canine companions, they can be a one-way ticket to the doggy emergency room.

So, the next time you’re tempted to toss your pup a grape or two, remember the cautionary tale of the tartaric acid mystery. It’s just not worth the risk. Keep those grapes, raisins, and currants safely out of reach, and your dog will thank you for it. After all, a healthy, happy pup is the best reward any pet owner could ask for.

Tags :
Share This :

Get Updates with our



Join our passionate community of dog lovers. Embrace the journey of companionship with Ihavedogs, where every dog gets the best of care and love.